SOUTH BEND -

Fire crews responded to Growing Kids Learning Center in South Bend after the staff smelled an electrical burning odor Thursday morning.

CLICK HERE for map

Our reporter on scene says close to a dozen children and their teachers were evacuated from the daycare center at the 2000 block of Bendix Drive.

We're told a South Bend Community Schools bus was brought to the center so the kids could stay warm.

A firefighter told a WSBT reporter that the staff at the daycare center smelled a burning odor and called 911. Fire crews say there was a malfunction with the heating/cooling unit, and the burning odor was being pushed into the building.

Fire crews say there was never a fire, but the staff did a great job of keeping the kids safe.

Children and teachers were allowed back in the building.