ELKHART COUNTY -

A man was airlifted Saturday morning after a water heater explosion in Elkhart County.

It happened in the 61000 block of SR 13, near CR 20 in Middlebury around 9:30 this morning.

Firefighters say a man in his mid to late twenties was trying to light a water heater that ran out of gas. He used too much gas and it exploded.

The man suffered second and third degree burns to his face and hands, according to officials.

He was airlifted to the hospital where his condition is unknown.