SOUTH ANNVILLE TOWNSHIP, Lebanon County—UPDATE An early morning fire destroys a Lebanon County mobile home. The quick actions of some neighbors may have saved the day. The neighbors came to the aid of two people trapped by flames and smoke.
Despite the amount of damage left behind by this fire, the two people who live inside were able to get out safely. However, the situation was dicy. A next door neighbor had to drag a handicapped woman off of her porch with the fire nipping at her heels.
"I got up. I could see the flames shooting out of their trailer," said neighbor Robert Daub.
Daub was asleep in his bed around 3 a.m. when he heard a loud scream. Looking out his window, he saw 312 Palm City Park engulfed in flames. His two neighbors, including a handicapped woman, were struggling to get out.
"I ran up and quick grabbed her, threw her arm around me and we got her down safely," Daub said.
"I grabbed the hose and ran across the street. Another guy grabbed the lady off of the porch and it was just like panic," said neighbor Cory Heft.
Daub was able to drag the woman to safety. At the same time, Heft doused the flames with a garden hose. Thirty-five firefighters quickly responded and put out the fire in about 15 minutes. Still, the damage is immense.
"They were really devastated. This is the second house they lost in 20 years in this park," Heft said.
Despite the devastation, everybody agrees the ending could have been much different.
"There was an angel on these people's side. It could have been a lot worse than it was but everybody in the park responded really quickly and it was just a blessing we got everybody out as safely as we did," Daub said.
The two people inside the home were checked by medics on the scene but not hurt. The house appears to be a total loss. The fire marshal has determined the fire to be accidental in nature, started by the stove in the kitchen.
The two people are getting help from the American Red Cross.
ORIGINAL STORY A neighbor is being credited for saving the lives of two people in Lebanon County after their home catches fire. The fire started just before 3 a.m. Tuesday morning at 312 Palm City Park in South Annville Township. Neighbor Robert Daub says he heard a loud scream and when he sat up in bed he noticed the house next door was on fire. He quickly ran out of his house and noticed that the two people next door, a man and a handicapped woman, were on the porch surrounded by smoke and fire. He was able to drag the handicapped woman to safety. Both were checked out by medics on scene and were not hurt. Stay tuned to FOX43 News as we bring you the very latest from the scene of the fire in Lebanon.