WABASH, Ind. (AP) — Two of a family's four dogs that fell ill after swimming in a northern Indiana lake where toxic algae had bloomed have recovered.
Marge and Larry Young, of Wabash, say their four dogs became sick in July after they let the dogs swim in Salamonie Reservoir. Two dogs died the next day and the other two suffered severe liver damage.
Marge Young said that the surviving 2-year-old and 7-year-old Labradors are off their medications.
"They are acting very normal now," she told The Journal Gazette for a story Monday (http://bit.ly/OECYJ8 ). "They're great and they're happy."
The state Department of Natural Resources said testing has found sites at 10 state-managed lakes or reservoirs with high levels of the blue-green algae, including Salamonie. Other sites include lakes in Pokagon, Chain O'Lakes, Potato Creek and Whitewater Memorial state parks and Mississinewa, Raccoon, Monroe, Hardy and Brookville reservoirs.
The algae — known as cyanobacteria — can bloom in stagnant water, officials said. It can cause rashes, skin and eye irritations and nausea and is potentially fatal to animals or infants.
Young said she and her husband have taken their dogs swimming for many years and had no clue about blue-green algae until this summer.
"We certainly won't take them to a location where the water is stagnant during drought time," she said.
Information from: The Journal Gazette, http://www.journalgazette.net