11:01 AM EST, January 5, 2013
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The state is close to adding money to all of the debit cards of 85,000 Michigan food assistance recipients and families who temporarily went without the aid this week.
Michigan Department of Technology, Management and Budget spokesman Kurt Weiss said Saturday morning that 90 percent of the impacted cards had been restored and loaded with the food assistance benefit.
He says the state is "close to having this fully resolved."
The issue was caused by an employee error.
Recipients with ID numbers ending in "0'' discovered money wasn't on their cards Thursday as expected.
About one-tenth of Michigan's food assistance recipients have been affected by the problem.