WARSAW – Severe smoke inhalation and a few burns on his forehead.
A 4-year-old is slowly recovering from a house fire in Warsaw.
The home burst into flames shortly before 9 a.m. Wednesday.
A mother and son were inside when the fire started to engulf the house in the 700 block of E. Clark St., just east of the downtown area.
Warsaw-Wayne Fire Territory Battalion Chief Rob Barker Wednesday evening said the cause of a devastating house fire in Warsaw this morning has now been narrowed down to the kitchen.
“At this point, it’s looking like a cooking accident,” Barker tells StaceyPageOnline.com. The fire started in the kitchen near or at the stove.
"When we arrived, there was smoke pushing out from all the eaves,” said Mike Brubaker, the Warsaw Fire Chief.
A 4-year-old suffered severe smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital right away with his mother, the only other person in the home, by his side in the ambulance.
Firefighters quickly tackled the flames.
It took crews 20 minutes to knock out the fire.
But the flames acted too fast and ate up most of this home, leaving little to salvage.
"At this point, we're looking at a total loss," the Chief said.
For that reason, the Red Cross quickly stepped in.
"We guide them through their beginning of their recovering process, giving them financial assistance and guidelines of what's going to happen in the next few days," said Bree Robinson with the Red Cross.
And even though they're just giving the family basic necessities of food, clothing and shelter, those life-saving amenities will help the family start their new life.
The little boy was taken to a hospital in Fort Wayne. We're told he will be okay. His mother is expected to be just fine as well.
Firefighters don't know how the fire started. It's under investigation right now.