One person is dead and three others injured after a fight escalated into shots fired late Thursday night in Goshen. After police found four victims, four others were arrested.
A gunshot killed John Staub, 26, according to a Goshen Police news release issued early Friday morning.
Staub was found dead in a truck that was stopped by police near Indiana and Lincoln avenues after police were told that truck left the scene of a "large fight" in the 600 block of River Avenue.
At the River Avenue scene, police found a woman who had been battered. She was taken to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment.
Police were told several others involved in the fight left the River Avenue scene in a red truck. When police stopped that truck near Indiana and Lincoln avenues, they found Staub dead and others involved in the situation in the truck.
At about the same time, other officers were sent on a call reporting other gunshot victims near the original fight area.
- Police found David Goble, 29, with a gunshot wound to his leg. He too was taken to Goshen IU Health Center for treatment. James Staub, 28, was treated for injuries from broken glass.
Another vehicle with four adults and one juvenile believed to be involved in the original fight was stopped in the Linway Plaza parking lot by Goshen Police and Elkhart County Sheriff's Department officers.
Arrested and charged were four Goshen residents, who are all being held without bond in the Elkhart County jail.
- Daniel Heflin, 21. Preliminary charges: One count of murder and one count of attempted murder;
- Elisa Horton, 22. Preliminary charges: One count of assisting a criminal and one count of obstruction of justice;
- Dustin Saylor, 22. Preliminary charge: One count of obstruction of justice; and
- William Terry, 24. Preliminary charge: One count of conspiracy to commit murder.
Stay with WSBT for updates online and on air as this story develops.