A gas leak in the 1200 block of Belmont Ave. in South Bend late Wednesday morning caused emergency responders to evacuate residents from houses in the area.
According to a WSBT photographer at the scene, the South Bend Street Department was doing work when they hit the line. A neighbor tells us the city has been tearing up sidewalks and curbs in that area to replace them.
Ten houses were cleared out in the approximate vicinity of the leak. Crews tested the air to see if they need to evacuate more but say the wind helped to dissipate the cloud.
By around 2:30, the all-clear had been given, and city dispatch says everything is back to normal.
Our photographer said he could hear and smell the leak from a block away.