As usual with these lake effect events, southwest Michigan is bracing for the worst of it.
Drivers certainly had to slow down Saturday, especially around Berrien Springs where the snow came down pretty hard. It was a day to stay in if you could.
"The farther north you went it was a little bit worse. Around Berrien Springs they got a little bit more on the road than we got here," said driver Raymond Sims.
Sims drove a truck for years and says a few slick spots don't get him panicked.
"Anybody can go 50 mph on an icy road, but how long are you going to stay on the road? That's the thing," he said. "If you go slow and just pace yourself, and watch what you're doing and don't try to spin out and make wild turns...you can go forever on the stuff."
That stuff also came down to the northeast from Berrien Springs near Dowagiac and to the south in Niles.
With temperatures this cold, the snow that sticks to the roadways will freeze to the surface.
"Sometimes you can get really surprised if the weather is hovering around freezing and it all of a sudden changes to thirty degrees, it can turn the ice into a skating rink. Just right away you can lose control real easily," said driver Robert Shely.
Snow plow drivers were out in full force clearing the roads... And drivers were forced to take it easy on the gas.
"Just to not be in such a big hurry and to break smoothly," said Shely.
Still, there were several reports of accidents and slide-off's. Thankfully some people simply chose to spend less time driving and more time indoors where it was nice and warm.
"Kids and I just kind of vegged out today, played some Wii, watched some movies, did some homework, kinda stayed in. Wasn't too bad. One of those good days to stay home and kind of relax," said driver Ken Lavery.
YOUR WSBT FORECAST FOR SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 17th
Snow is possible in the morning, but some slow clearing will lead to a partly sunny day. Highs will be in the upper 20's. For tonight, partly cloudy skies. Low will be in the lower 20's. Warmer air returns Monday with highs in the lower to middle 40's and a chance of rain, especially in the afternoon.
- Area closings, cancellations, click on http://www.wsbt.com/weather/closings/
- Check Indiana road conditions, click on http://www.in.gov/isp/2332.htm
- Check Michigan road conditions, click on http://www.michigan.gov/mdot
- Check flight delays, click on http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp
- Check South Bend Regional Airport, click on http://www.sbnair.com/
- Check Chicago airports, click on http://flychicago.com/Default.aspx
- Check South Shore, click on http://www.nictd.com/
- Check Amtrak, click on http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage