KINGSFORD HEIGHTS – An eight year old boy was recovering Monday from burns sustained when his shirt came into contact with a candle in Kingsford Heights.
According to Kingsford Heights Police, the boy whose name was not disclosed was transported to the hospital by ambulance with first and second degree burns.
His condition was not known, but Kingsford Heights Town Marshal Chris Fine said the boy prior to being taken away went outside because the cold temperatures felt good on his back.
''It's going to be painful and it's going to require some care and probably some medication and wrapping,'' said Fine.
Police said the boy and his mother, Crissy McKinney, were visiting family members Saturday night at a home in the 400 block of Fernway Rd.
The boy and his mother are from Michigan City.
Fine said there was a stand alone candle burning on a livingroom table and the boy was playing with other children.
At one point, the boy brushed up against the candle and the flame caught the back of his shirt on fire.
Fine said the boy ran into the kitchen catching the attention of some adults in the home and his shirt was removed.
He said the shirt was made of a jersey type material that is susceptible to catching fire.
''They can burn very quickly,'' said Fine.
Fine says the shirt was removed and the burns were confined to the boy's back.
Fortunately, he said the boy did not sustain third degree burns which are the kind are leave the skin charred or black.
Kingsford Heights Police officer Pat Cicero said there was blistering across his entire back and open sores on the lower portion of the boy's back.
''The victim asked to stay outside because the cold felt better on his back,'' said Cicero.