DETROIT (AP) — Michigan's proposed ban on burning household waste is up in smoke.
Public outcry caused the Department of Environmental Quality to yank the policy Monday. It will hold another series of public hearings, probably by summer. Spokesman Brad Wurfel says regulators still believe the rule makes sense, but they want to respond to a "growing chorus" of concerns.
Wurfel says Michigan is the only Great Lakes state that doesn't restrict what can go into an outdoor burn barrel. He says the DEQ would like some restrictions.
Wurfel says fewer than a dozen people attended three public hearings last year.