E-mail this image gallery
PHOTOS: Family safe after Johnson Street fire
A South Bend family is safe after a fire started in their home just one day after Christmas.
The fire started in a second story bedroom of a home in the 700 block of North Johnson Street around 11 Wednesday morning.
Initially it was believed that children were trapped inside the house.
When crews arrived they found the family safely outside and let the children sit in the back of a squad car for warmth from the winter storm.
Officials say the fire hydrant outside the home was frozen so they used another nearby hydrant to supply the water.
The fire was put out quickly and the home is not expected to be a total loss.
December 26, 2012