CARMEL, IN—A closed-door meeting tonight in Carmel concerning the assault investigation involving the high school basketball team. Administrators say they will review school policies involving supervision.
The Carmel Clay school board met Monday in executive session to discuss among themselves recent allegations of student hazing involving 4 Carmel senior basketball players. When it was over board member Jeffrey carter had this to say:
During the public meeting that followed, Superintendent Jeff Swenssen addressed the handful or so of parents in attendance, reading from a prepared statement, letting everyone know the investigation into what exactly happened and who knew what and when, continues.
"I am deeply troubled and upset by the inappropriate behaviors that have emerged as a result of the school's investigation," said superintendent, Dr. Jeff Swenssen.
Effective immediately Superintendent Swenssen said students and staff will evaluate what he called "lessons learned," including a review of the handbook, a "stand down" approach for coaches, and an assessment of supervision in general.
At least one parent seemed pleased with the progress so far.
"I feel that the school board and the administrative staff at the high school is doing the best that they can to resolve the situation. They have a very hard challenge ahead of them and i feel that they're going the best that they can," said parent Christina Ledbetter.
The school board again announced they have no timeline to take action or disclose what may or may not have happened.