Carmel, Ind.—When a Carmel High School basketball player stands up in court to take a plea bargain to an assault Thursday, one of his alleged victims is hoping he won't be alone in taking a stand against bullying.
"It makes me feel like no cares if no one shows up," said the youth at a news conference Tuesday in his attorney's office. "Do not let someone you know go in there and knowing that they're just with their parents. Have some sort of back up."
The Carmel student was one of three boys assaulted in hazing incidents involving basketball players last winter. Oscar Falodun is expected to take a plea agreement to a misdemeanor charge and may receive probation and community service. Hamilton County Prosecutor Sonia Leerkamp reached a similar agreement with Scott Laskowski last month.
"This is not about the truth anymore. It's about maintaining the pristine image of Carmel," said Rickey Davis, the boy's father. "They're willing to do whatever it takes to make this go away. The students in question are too well connected to be held accountable."
Davis' son was listed as Victim #1 when indictments were returned by a grand jury. Prosecutor Leerkamp has decided to drop the counts involving Victims #1 and #3 and will prosecute only the case involving Victim #2.
"However Victim #2 has been identified as a friend of the Laskowskis who doesn't intend to sue Carmel," said Davis family attorney Robert Turner. "Therefore, Victim #2 is being allowed to be a victim by Miss Leerkamp while the count involving Turner's client is being dismissed."
"What do we have to keep enduring? How many times do we have to say it happened?" asked Sheronda Davis. "All four attacked our son on several occasions and others."
Charges remain to be resolved against two other teenagers in the case.