More than two dozen additional homes will have to be demolished as a result of the November 10 house explosion on the south side of Indianapolis.
According to the Department of Code Enforcement, 29 more homes will have to be torn down in the Richmond Hill community. That's in addition to the four that were most heavily damaged or destroyed. A total of 33 homes will be demolished when crews are finished.
The homes set for demolition will be torn down, their foundations dug up and lots completely cleared.
The department told Fox59 that six demolition orders will be issued on Monday, Nov. 26. Six additional orders will be issued on Monday, Dec. 3.
The remaining 17 homeowners have until Dec. 20 to show proof from a contractor that their homes could be safely repaired. Otherwise, demolition orders will be issued.
Some homeowners like Gary Jarnagin said his insurance company is still evaluating his home. He believes tearing down the home is for the best.
"Yeah, I think it would be better to be demolished because the extent of the damage, the fact that the resale value on the house would be like a new house and not one that's been renovated out of a mass destruction,” Jarnagin told Fox59.
According to Code Enforcement, all 33 homeowners have been notified. So far, no one has filed a written appeal.
"For our part I think everybody has been very understanding that this is a safety issue,” Collins said. “And this will provide homeowners an opportunity to start fresh."
After crews demolish the homes, each property owner will have to decide if they want to rebuild or move on.
"There are some people don't want to be there and they want to get out,” Jarnagin said. “I for one, it's close to my wife's work and we like the neighborhood."
Demolition orders to be issued for additional Richmond Hill homes starting Monday