Leaders in Franklin Township are taking a stand and sticking with their controversial school bus plan, for now.
It comes just days after a class action lawsuit is filed against third party busing.
Board members decided that they will not make any changes with their bus plan until the court tells them they have to.
“We're looking forward to some sort of final resolution to the questions of our arrangements,” said Superintendent Dr. Walter Bourke. “We intend to let the judicial system to do that and give us a final resolution.”
Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller released his official legal opinion last week stating that the Franklin Township community school bus fee is not legal.
The attorney general said it is unconstitutional for a school corporation to require fees for school bus transportation, even if the school system outsources bus service to another entity.
The school district's attorney said the attorney general's opinion is only advisory on the school district.
School board members will make a resolution on Monday at the next board meeting to allow the school's attorneys to defend the lawsuit.
Franklin Township school leaders stand firm on pay-to-bus policy
Franklin Township school leaders had a private meeting Wednesday night to discuss options about what to do about the pay-to-bus policy, which has outraged many parents.