Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall will be on the bench at the start of Auburn's season opener on Aug. 30 against Arkansas

Tigers coach Gus Malzahn said Friday that Marshall, who was cited for marijuana possession last month, will not start the Southeastern Conference game, but he did not indicate how long Marshall would remain on the sideline during the game.

"I'm not ready to say that yet," he said.

Malzahn added that Marshall not starting the opener is "part of the punishment."

Auburn cornerback Jonathon Mincy also will not start the opener. He was charged with second-degree marijuana possession in late June.

"I will say this: Nick Marshall is still our quarterback and Jonathon Mincy is still our cornerback," Malzahn said. "Like I said before, my hope is this will help them in the future," he said.

Malzahn also said starting left guard Alex Kozan, who was on the Outland Trophy watch list, will not play this season while he recovers from back surgery.

Marshall led Auburn to the Southeastern Conference title and a spot in the BCS national championship game last season, passing for 1,976 passing and accounting for 26 touchdowns.

Marshall's replacement in the opener will be sophomore Jeremy Johnson, who passed for 422 yards with six touchdowns and two interceptions in six games last season.

"Me and Rhett (Lashlee, offensive coordinator) decided Jeremy Johnson will have a bigger role, regardless," Malzahn said. "We feel good about our quarterback position."