The 36-year-old Wolf, signed Aug. 31, is scheduled to have an MRI performed on the elbow Tuesday morning. An anti-inflammatory injection could follow. He was evalualted by Orioles team orthopedist Dr. John Wilckens before Monday’s doubleheader against the Blue Jays.
Showalter said Wolf began feeling discomfort toward the end of his spot start Saturday in Boston. Wolf appeared to labor late in his outing at Fenway Park, where he went five innings and allowed three runs on seven hits.
- Orioles in September [Pictures]
- What they're saying about the Orioles
- Adam Jones matches season high with four hits vs. Blue Jays
- Peter Schmuck grades the Orioles (Week 7)
- Orioles in May [Pictures]
- Baseball power rankings (May 7, 2013)
See more photos »
- Randy Wolf
- Wilson Betemit
- Matt Wieters
See more topics »
“He started feeling it toward the last inning of his outing,” Showalter said.
Showalter said he hopes that Wolf is unavailable for two days.
Wolf signed with the Orioles to add another lefty arm to the bullpen. And after making three relief appearances, his last two appearances have been starts – allowing five earned runs over nine innings against Oakland and Boston.
Here’s what’s also going on inside the Orioles clubhouse:
- Wilson Betemit was back in the clubhouse today. Showalter said Betemit’s return from reaggravating a right wrist injury isn’t imminent, but Betemit said that the wrist feels much better after a cortisone injection. He said he was told he could pick up a bat within 2 1/2 weeks, which would make him a possibility for the postseason.
- Catcher Matt Wieters and his wife Maria, who are expecting their first child, could take advantage of Thursday’s off day. That’s when Maria is scheduled to be induced, Showalter said.
- Showalter said there is one player who is banged up, but he wouldn’t disclose who, only saying he’s not in the Game 1 starting lineup. One would have to think, he’s talking about second baseman Robert Andino, who was 0-for-3 with three strikeouts Sunday in his first game back after he was hit by a pitch in the helmet on Friday.
Here are today’s Game 1 starting lineups: