The Orioles continued with pitchers fielding practice today. Right-hander Kevin Gausman and left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez, the second and third top pitching prospects in the Orioles organization, threw their first bullpen sessions of the spring. The position players who have reported took batting practice afte PFPs were completed.
Now to the news:
- Reliever Luis Ayala, who has yet to throw a bullpen session, said he has yet to decide whether he will pitch for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic. He told reporters he is expecting to make a decision tonight. Ayala’s winter ball season just ended last week because his Mexican league team won the Carribbean World Series.
- Left-hander Mark Hendrickson debuted his new sidearm delivery. Orioles manager Buck Showalter remains intrigued and was impressed and said his arm slot could actually continue to move lower.
- Outfielder Trayvon Robinson, who was designated for assignment on Friday, cleared waivers. He’s been outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk and is expected to arrive in camp tomorrow.
- Non-roster invitee Zach Braddock, a left-handed reliever, is limited in drills because he’s still recovering from reconstructive labrum surgery to repair a slap tear in his throwing shoulder last July.
- Left-hander Tsuyoshi Wada, recovering from Tommy John surgery in May, is scheduled to throw off a flat mound on Feb. 25.
- Catcher Jose Gil, a non-roster invitee, has obtained his visa and is expected to arrive in camp tomorrow. That would make infielder Yamaico Navarro the only player on the 60-man spring roster absent from camp.