Kenneth Harris Plummer Sr. passed into the loving arms of God on Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012.
Born Oct. 11, 1923, in Waverly, Va., Ken was the son of Edward DeWees Plummer and Jessie Harris Plummer.
Ken's first wife, Dorothy Scruggs Plummer, passed away in 1968.
Ken had a lifelong passion for photography and he attended photography school in New York City and Hagerstown Business School after graduating from Hagerstown High School in 1941. Following his service to his nation in the U.S. Navy in World War II, Ken owned and operated The Photo Center in Chambersburg from 1946 to 1950. He became a partner in E.D. Plummer Sons Inc. in 1950, retiring as president in 1982.
Ken was a man who firmly believed in service to his nation, his church and his community. He was a member of Kiwanis and served on the Board of Directors of the Cumberland Valley Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors and the National Board of Directors of ABC.
Ken was a member of St. Paul United Methodist Church, where he served on the board of trustees and taught the Open Door class for more than 50 years. He was a member of the Board of Laity of the Central Pennsylvania Conference, Board of Health and Welfare Ministries, and was Conference Lay Leader for many years. Ken was elected to the Board of Global Ministries of the National United Methodist Church in 1976 and served on the Board of Health and Welfare Division and the World Division. He was a member of the World Methodist Council and represented the American Methodist Church at the British Methodist Council in 1989. He also was a member of the Development Committee for Africa University, and was elected president of the National Association of Annual Conference Lay Leaders in 1986.
For 20 years, Ken served as a trustee of Lebanon Valley College in Annville, Pa. He also was on the Board of Governors of Wesley Theological Seminary for 12 years.
Ken was also a founding director of the Center for Spiritual Formation and chaired the building committee that completed the Center at Orchard Hill.
Ken was a direct descendant of Robert Plummer, whose Quaker homestead became the Friends Boarding School in Barnesville, Ohio. He has been involved in the restoration of the original Plummer House.
With all of his service and dedication to his family and his church, Ken's most valuable achievement in his eyes was the construction of the chapel at Camp David. He was working there when President Kennedy was assassinated and neither he nor the servicemen stationed there had anywhere to go and pray. Thus, a lifelong ambition was born, and through the formation of the Camp David Chapel Fund Inc., which Ken chaired, the money was raised from many denominations and many faiths. The chapel was dedicated in 1991 and rededicated in 2001 as an ecumenical place of prayer and worship.
The viewing will be Friday, Nov. 30, 2012, from 6 to 8 p.m. at St. Paul United Methodist Church, 750 Norland Ave., Chambersburg, Pa. Funeral services will be Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012, at 11 a.m. at St. Paul's, with a luncheon to follow. Interment will be Sunday, Dec. 2, 2012, at the church following the service.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St. Paul United Methodist Church, 750 Norland Ave., Chambersburg, PA 17201 or The Center for Spiritual Formation, 64 E. North St., Carlisle, PA 17013.
Kelso-Cornelius Funeral Home is handling the arrangements.