Natural Foods Cooking Instructor Pamela Salzman joined us live to demonstrate a few tasty and delicious holiday hors d'oeuvres that are easy to make. For the complete recipes, see the information below. For more information on Pamela Salzman and details on her cooking classes, you can go to www.pamelasalzman.com.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH, BEET AND APPLE SKEWERS
½ medium butternut squash *, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½ inch cubes
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½ inch cubes
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
3 medium beets, roasted, peeled and cut into ½ -inch cubes
4 ounces arugula or baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
1 package feta, cut carefully into ½ inch cubes(optional)
1 Tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
3 Tablespoons unrefined, cold-pressed, extra- virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place the butternut squash cubes in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil to coat. Transfer to prepared sheet pan and spread out in one layer. Season with sea salt, pepper, and half the rosemary.
3. Place the apple cubes in the same bowl and drizzle with olive oil to coat. Repeat the same procedure as the squash.
4. Place the sheet pans in the oven and roast squash for about 30 minutes, turning halfway, until tender and slightly caramelized. Roast apples until just tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
5. Whisk together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
6. Thread the squash, apple, beet and arugula or spinach on a small skewer or toothpick. If you decide to use feta, wrap the cube of feta with a leaf of arugula/spinach and skewer. Arrange on a serving plate and drizzle with the vinegar and oil.
ROASTED BABY POTATOES WITH BROCCOLI AND MOZZARELLA