Click here for photos and videos from our visits to I Love to Read winners!
Information for teachers:
The I Love to Read Challenge runs from Monday, February 4th through Friday, March 1, 2013.
Click HERE for the Verification Log.
Because this is a program designed to encourage a love for reading beyond the classroom, ONLY EXTRACURRICULAR (NON-TEXT, NON-ASSIGNED) READING can be counted toward the challenge goals.
CHILDREN CAN ONLY COUNT ONE HOUR OF IN-CLASSROOM READING PER SCHOOL DAY.
- Students may log up to 30 minutes per school day during “Drop Everything and Read” or “Sustained Silent Reading” if it is not assigned reading materials.
- Students may log an additional 30 minutes per school day for time teachers, celebrity/guest readers spend reading to the students as long as they are reading non-text book materials.
TIME SPENT READING OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM IS UNLIMITED.
- Any independent reading.
- Students may log time spent reading during school, but outside of the classroom (recess, before or after school, etc.)
- Any time parents, caregivers, older siblings, or guardians spend reading non-text book material to participating students may be logged.
- Any time students spend reading non-text book material to other children or adults may be logged.
Calendar Log Sheets must be given to each participating student to record their minutes read daily. We encourage the kids to post their log sheet on the refrigerator at home or in a prominent place in the classroom! Calendar Logs must be signed by a parent or guardian, and turned into the teacher by, Friday, March 8th.
Results must be calculated and submitted on-line by the classroom teacher via the Verification Log, no later than Friday, March 8th. WSBT and challenge administrators will rely on each teacher for the accuracy of results.
Each student that participates in the I Love to Read Challenge will receive, by USPS, a Certificate of Achievement from WSBT-TV and TCU.
The decisions of the I Love to Read Challenge administrators will be final.
PRIZES AND AWARDS
- TOP THREE CLASSROOMS
The three classrooms with the highest reading average will each win $250 VISA Gift Card
from TCU. Due to the vast number of participants, we cannot allow repeat winners.
- INDIVIDUAL WINNERS AT EACH GRADE LEVEL
One student at each grade level will win a $50 VISA Gift Card from TCU.
This prize is awarded to the student who read the most minutes. Due to the vast number of students participating, we cannot allow repeat winners.
- RISING TO THE CHALLENGE AWARD
Given to three students (as nominated by their teacher) for overcoming adversity, obstacle, or handicap to participate in the I Love to Read Challenge. Each student will win a $50 VISA Gift Card from TCU. Due to the vast number of participants, we cannot allow repeat winners.
- CREATIVE TEACHER AWARD
Given to one teacher who enhances the I Love to Read Challenge for his/her students in the most creative way. The winner receives a trip to Disney World from TCU Travel. Due to the vast number of teachers participating, we cannot allow repeat winners.