The potatoes bubble in the pan and the cabbage squeaks while cooking, so of course, this classic go-along with roots all over the United Kingdom has earned its unusual name. Bubble and Squeak is a great side dish for corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day or any day.
Cooking Time: 30 min
- 5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a soup pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender; drain in a colander and allow potatoes to sit in the colander.
- In the same soup pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- Return potatoes to the pot. Add the cabbage, water, and salt, and cook over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
We suggest topping off this meal with a proper English trifle!