What's the surprise ingredient between our layers of lasagna noodles? Seasoned mashed potatoes! Our hearty Pierogi Lasagna, topped with zesty Cheddar cheese, is a must-have for your vegetarian lasagna recipe collection.
Cooking Time: 45 min
What You'll Need:
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 medium-sized onions, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes, store-bought or homemade
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a largeskillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned; reserve 1/2 cup sauteed onions for topping. Add remaining onions, pepper, and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.
- Place 3 noodles on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potato mixture over noodles. Repeat layers until a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of potato mixture have been placed (with a layer of noodles on top). Top with remaining sauteed onions.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.
You might want to add a few cooked sliced mushrooms to the potatoes, or maybe a cup of well-drained sauerkraut. And season your mashed potatoes however you like 'em...salt, pepper, and butter work fine.
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our collection of 19 Easy Lasagna Recipes.